This program is our version of Sunday School, and is taught during the 9:30am service at St. Mary's Church. It is specifically designed for children from pre-primary school age. It is held every Sunday during school term.
Godly play focuses on telling the story, and allowing the child to explore their own spirituality from there. The program:
- Resacrilizes everyday things of the world - bread, wine, candles, wood, linen;
- Teaches adults and children that being quiet and deliberate about their work can be satisfying;
- Offers sensorial material in a safe stimulating environment;
- Combines language and play (verbal and non-verbal);
- Offers discovery that engages the whole child and allows internalization;
- Each child creates an expressive response to their individual thoughts and feelings. This allows them to create meaning for THEM;
- Respects the demands on teachers time - maintains a stable set up and routine. No craft prep. Lesson prep is often simply reading;
- Teaches respect of things and the people they work with and to enjoy each with care and patience;
- Teaches kindness and mutuality – embodies how community should work.
July 2013: The Parish was awarded a grant from the Anglican Youth Ministries Foundation to help purchase extra Godly Play materials.
Godly Play demonstration at All Saints for All Saints Day